Saturday, May 3, 2008

Thank GOD for sleep!



Before I had J, I swear I didn't know the true meaning of exhaustion. All my mom friends tried to warn me...

"SLEEP NOW", they urged, "You won't get to when the baby comes."

'They're delusional', I thought to myself, 'I've been through University, I've pulled all-nighters. Piece of cake."

Yeah. No.

You don't get to choose when you sleep and when you wake up when you have kids. They choose for you. Oh, and babies, yeah, they can go on 2 hours of sleep at a time. You know how hard it is to function on 2 hours sleep at a time?! And you have NO idea when you get to go back to sleep. Could be 5 minutes from now, could be 2 hours. ARGH!

Okay. I had to get that all out. J is just getting over a cold, and...

Oh, that's another thing... When my mom friend used to say "Little 7 month old Billy is getting over a bad cold." I'd say "Oh that sucks." but I'd secretly be thinking "Yeah, well, I'm just getting over a cold too, but you don't see me whining about it!"

I now understand what dark spot of Hell little Billy's mom was living in for the past few nights. Baby colds aren't just coughing and sniffles. They're screaming and puking and crazy fevers, and late night panicked calls to Telehealth. Dude, baby colds are WW3!!!!!!

But honestly, it's all good. It really is. Because you clean the puke, you get the baby to sleep, and then you see their serene sleeping face, and your heart melts into a giant drippy puddle. Sure, you're on autopilot for the rest of the week, and sure you're not completely certain you didn't put gripe water in your tea, but dude...

It's awesome.

I even think I might do it again.

In like 10 years. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment