J has been deathly ill since boxing day. 1st a cold, then strep throat, then... Get this.... EFFING NORWALK . Yeah, sounds fricken peachy, eh? No. It wasn't. Seriously un-peachy. In the past, I've gone on and on about how un-fun a sick child is. Well, take everything I wrote, multiply it by 10 and then you'll get the gist of how January has gone. Oh, and add the fact that now J can actually beg me to "Make it better? Please, mommy! Make it better!?!?", and you add heartbreak to exhaustion & panic.
But I've beaten that dead horse long enough. Now we're all relatively healthy again, so I'm ready to give this year a second chance. Start over. Carte blanche.
So... WHOOPIE! HAPPY NEW YEAR! YAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :)
And now for my New Years Resolutions... Let me show you them!:
1. Stick to a workout routine that pushes me physically outside of my comfort zone.
2. Focus more on making wholesome food choices/plans for myself and my family
3. Experiment with new recipes and foods
4. Make a lunch for work as many times a week as I can
5. Plan and take a weekend getaway with S
6. Keep the house at a “company’s coming” level of cleanliness
7. Invite more people to come and visit
8. Go to church more and practice my faith on a regular basis
Most of these (especially #6..... HA HA HA HA HA #6, I laugh in your face!) I haven't been able to truly focus on because OMFG BODILY FLUIDS EVERYWHERE SOMEBODY GRAB MANY TOWELS AND THE AIR FRESHENER!!!!!!!!!!!! But I have been able to get to a couple...
- I've started on #5 and have booked a relaxing, 3 day cottage retreat with S this summer :)
- I've tried to work on #2 and have begun to ditch pre-packaged "quick foods". No more pre-shredded cheese (do you know what's in that shit? I'll give you a hint... IT'S NOT ALL CHEESE!) Also, I've taken to making my own chicken nuggets. They're more like miniature chicken fingers, but I can whip them up and cook 'em faster than the pre-packaged variety AND I know all of the ingredients in them! (Oh and, most importantly, J actually LIKES them!!!!!!!)
So, it's not a HORRIBLE start, but it's just a start and I have to get my butt in gear with the rest of 'em. ESPECIALLY #1. There's a reason for that. I have to get cracking with my workout routine not only because I feel better about myself when I exercise... But also because I will be undertaking this bad-boy in September!:
Cancer is something I wish I had no experience with. I wish I never knew anyone who had it. I wish it was one of those things I could look at from a distance. Truth is, it's hit closer to home than I ever wanted it to. My mother overcame uterine cancer a few years ago. We're very lucky that it was caught early on and that she got the help and treatment she needed. The help she recieved was primarily from the Princess Margaret hospital and the oncology staff there were (and still are) top notch. So you can kind of see why I felt the need, this year, to participate in this particular walk.
I'll be walking for 1 day instead of 2, but it's still a hike - 32km!!!!!! So i'll need to seriously ramp up my endurance :) I'm looking forward to it!!!!!
So yeah. That's my world in a nutshell, right now.
And since I'm at a loss on how to end this post... I'll leave you with a quote :)
“If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.” ~ Mary Pickford